Why Have A Pre-Start Meeting For Construction?
Beneficial for contractors, clients and project managers, pre-start meetings for construction should be standard before any project gets underway. However, it’s important to use pre-start meetings to add value to the project, as opposed to viewing them as a necessary administrative task.
- Minimises the risk of delays
- Prevents miscommunication causing costly mistakes
- Ensures that every member of the team has approved the relevant works
- Improves the efficacy of any building works
Who Should Attend Pre-Start Meetings?
The list of attendees at pre-start meetings will depend on the nature of the project. Specialist construction consultants can add significant value to pre-start meetings for construction. With the knowledge and expertise to provide critical advice, inviting a dedicated building consultant to your pre-start meeting will help to ensure that all key areas are covered and that your interests are protected. Those that should attend include:
- Quantity Surveyor
- Project Manager
- Lead Construction Engineer
- Client (or representative)
- Sub-Contractor Managers
What Does A Pre-Start Meeting Include?
There are various things to cover during a pre-start meeting, so it’s useful to have an agenda prepared in advance. Circulating the proposed agenda prior to the meeting will give attendees the opportunity to review any areas and suggest additional topics which may need to be included.
- 1Clarify the responsibilities of each party and identify the individual(s) who will take ownership of each area.
- 2Once the roles and duties of each individual have been confirmed, lines of communication can be established, and future meeting schedules can be agreed.
- 3Pre-start meetings will focus on project-specific issues such as schedules, protocols and strategies.
What Is Discussed During A Pre-Start Meeting?
There is a lot of ground to cover during a pre-start meeting, and there are a lot of specific issues that need to be discussed. This will include the following:
- Site access protocols
- Procurement schedules
- Query resolution strategies
- Monitoring processes
- Health and safety regulations
- Induction programs
- Mobilisation schedules
- Nomination instructions
- Lead-in materials
- Site conditions
- Insurance liabilities
Frequently Asked Questions
"I have always been really nervous going into pre-start meetings, but I used Bhangals Construction Consultants for my recent project, and my experience for the pre-start was completely different."